On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 20:30 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 21:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
The fresh, briney flavour of the cockles are perfect with bacon. Mop up the juices with savoury laver bread to complete this traditional Welsh dish by Mark Hix
Method1. Place the cockles in a bowl of cold water, agitating them every so often with your hand to loosen any sand, then rinse under clean running water for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat a lightly oiled grill or griddle pan and cook the bacon chops for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, put the laver bread into a pan with a knob of butter and gently toast.
4. Put the cockles into a large saucepan with a little water and the salt, cover and cook on a high heat, shaking the pan every so often, until the cockles open. Discard any that do not open, then drain.
5. Spoon the laver bread on to 4 serving plates, place a bacon chop on each and scatter over the cockles.