Bacon chop with laver bread and cockles
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 3
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 4
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Simple Suppers
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
The fresh, briney flavour of the cockles are perfect with bacon. Mop up the juices with savoury laver bread to complete this traditional Welsh dish by Mark Hix
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the cockles in a bowl of cold water, agitating them every so often with your hand to loosen any sand, then rinse under clean running water for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat a lightly oiled grill or griddle pan and cook the bacon chops for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, put the laver bread into a pan with a knob of butter and gently toast.
4. Put the cockles into a large saucepan with a little water and the salt, cover and cook on a high heat, shaking the pan every so often, until the cockles open. Discard any that do not open, then drain.
5. Spoon the laver bread on to 4 serving plates, place a bacon chop on each and scatter over the cockles.