On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Arizona
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Boston
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Massachusetts
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus chilling
- Cook time:
- 45 min
James Martin shows how to make this most classic of British dishes perfectly every time
Method1. Put the flour and a little salt and freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl. Add the eggs, mixing them in with a whisk by hand, then gradually pour in the milk, mixing slowly to prevent lumps forming.
2. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
4. Put a little of the dripping in 10 of the holes of a 12 hole muffin tin, leaving the middle 2 holes empty (to give room for the puddings to rise). Place the tin in the oven for about 10 minutes until the dripping is smoking hot.
5. Stir the batter. Carefully remove the tin from the oven as the fat is very hot and quickly fill the moulds with the batter using a ladle or a jug. Return the tins to the oven – the puddings rise a lot, so put them on the middle shelf or lower - and cook for 20-25 minutes.
6. Turn the oven temperature down to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and cook for a further 10 minutes to set the bottom of the puddings. Don’t open the oven door until the end of cooking or the puddings will deflate. Serve at once. Repeat with the rest of the batter - there is enough for about 6 more puddings.