On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Istanbul
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Amalfi Coast
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 50 min
Aggie MacKenzie makes a traditional British pie, best served with mash and peas
Method1. Heat half the oil in a shallow pan and brown the beef all over. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a casserole dish. Add the onion, carrot, celery and herbs and fry gently for a few minutes to soften.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add the browned meat to the pan, cover the pan and cook over low heat until the meat is tender – up to 2 hours.
5. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes over a medium heat on the hob.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
7. Pour the pan contents into an ovenproof dish. Roll out the pastry to the size of the pie dish. Lay it over the pie and crimp the edges. Prick all over and brush with egg yolk.
8. Bake the pie in the oven for 35 minutes. Serve with mash and peas.
- 4 tbsp groundnut oil
- 500 g stewing steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 sticks celery, chopped
- bunches fresh herbs, such as thyme or marjoram
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- splashes Worcestershire sauce
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 500 g readymade puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk