On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Amalfi
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Pies
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Luau
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Paul Heathcote makes crisp potato patties filled with melting cheese and meaty black pudding – a rich mustard butter sauce adds to the indulgence
Method1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes whole in their skins. Cook until just tender but still firm – a small knife should not pull out easily. Drain and peel.
2. Grate the potato into a bowl and mix with herbs.
3. Add a pinch of sea salt to the egg white and beat with a whisk. Mix with the grated potato and season with sea salt and freshly milled pepper.
4. Pat out a quarter of the mix in a circle larger than the black pudding. Put a slice of pudding and 25g of cheese in the middle and fold over the potatoes to cover. Shape into a patty and repeat to make 4.
5. For the mustard butter: put the vinegar, wine and shallots in a small pan and boil until only a third of the liquid remains. Pass through a sieve into a clean pan.
6. Add the mustard and cream and boil for a minute more. Add the diced butter little by little and whisk until amalgamated. Season with sea salt and freshly milled pepper, grainy mustard and chives.
7. Deep-fry the potato patties at 160C until golden brown. Meanwhile fry the 4 eggs in a frying pan.
8. Serve the potato patties with the fried eggs on top, a sprig of parley and a drizzle of the mustard butter.
- 450 g Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg white
- 4 slices black pudding
- 75 g lancashire cheese
- oil, for deep frying
- 4 small eggs, fried
For the mustard butter