On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus cooling time
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 10 min
Myrtle Allen’s Irish stew – that classic combination of lamb and potatoes – tastes even better if you make it the day before
Method1. Cut the meat into 8 pieces, cutting away the excess fat. Do not remove the bones.
2. Heat the dripping in a large casserole and brown the meat.
3. Add the onions, carrots and stock, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Put the whole potatoes on the top of the stew, cover and simmer gently for about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
5. Allow the stew to cool completely and refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. When ready to serve, remove and discard any fat from the top of the stew and reheat it gently until hot, adjusting the seasoning if necessary.
7. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the herbs.
8. To serve, divide the stew between bowls and swirl a little of the herbed butter mixture into each bowl.