On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - The Club, Foo, Tundra & Inn Pub
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
- makes 1 cake
A zippy lemon drizzle cake glazed with a delicate sugar crust from Eleanor Smallwood
Method1. For the cake: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and flour a 25cm bundt tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with the lemon zest until pale and thick. Beating the lemon zest will help draw out the oil making the cake lovely and lemony.
3. Stir in the eggs, one at a time. If the mixture threatens to curdle, add a tablespoon of the flour to stabilise it.
4. Mix in a little of the flour and baking powder with alternate glugs of the milk until all the ingredients are incorporated.
5. Spoon the mixture into the bundt tin and bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Prick all over with a toothpick.
6. For the glaze: mix the lemon juice and sugar, just swirling gently so the sugar doesn’t completely dissolve.
7. Drizzle the lemon glaze all over the warm cake - it will seep into the holes leaving a delicate sugar crust on the surface. Decorate with flowers and eat the day you make it.