On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Party Food
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas
- 21:00 - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
This Japanese seafood dish from Tom Kime couldn’t be healthier
Method1. Rinse the clams under plenty of cold running water. Remove any dirt or barnacles with an old knife. Keep rinsing until the water is completely clear. Discard any clams that do not close when they are tapped on the work surface, as they are dead. Also remove any that are dead or have broken shells.
2. Cut the ginger into thin slices, then finely shred into thin matchsticks. Cut the celery into 4cm lengths, then cut these into matchsticks as well.
3. Heat a heavy pan over a medium-high heat. Add half of the oil, and fry half each of the chilli, garlic and ginger for 1 – 2 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add the clams and a splash of water to steam. Cover with a lid and cook over a high heat, shaking the pan occasionally, for 2 minutes. Remove the lid, and stir the contents from the bottom. Cook for a further 2 minutes until the clams have all opened (discard any that do not).
5. Set a colander lined with a clean piece of muslin or cheesecloth over a bowl. Strain the clams, trapping any specks of grit or sand in the cloth, and reserve the strained cooking liquor.
6. Heat a wok over a medium-high heat, and add the remaining oil. Fry the remaining chilli, garlic, and ginger for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the celery and stir fry for a further minute. Next add the bean sprouts and edamame and stir fry vigorously for 1 minute.
7. Finally add the cooked clams, reserved cooking liquor, soy sauce, and lime juice. Season with plenty of black pepper and stir in the coriander leaves. Taste the juice and adjust the seasoning. It may need a little salt or may be just right. The juice will be hot, sweet, salty and sour. Stir through, and serve in prepared bowls with all the tempting juices.
- 1 kg clams, scrubbed and cleaned
- 3 cm ginger
- 3 sticks celery, white central part of stem only
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 400 g bean sprouts, trimmed and rinsed
- 200 g shelled edamame
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 small bunches coriander, leaves picked