On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The Heart of England
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - British Waterways
- 22:00 - River Cottage Veg - Summer Pleasures
- Prep time:
- 5 min, plus 20 mins cooling time
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- As many as desired
Daniel Galmiche’s secret for perfect potato chips is in the three different stages of cooking
Method1. Cut the potatoes into wide chips, similar to the thick-cut chips known in Paris as “pommes Pont-Neuf”.
2. Put the chips into a saucepan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until they are three-quarters cooked.
3. Drain the potatoes and plunge them straight into cold water to cool them down. Remove them from the water and drain on kitchen towel.
4. Put the chips in the fridge until cold.
5. Heat vegetable oil to 140C and deep fry the chips for 2 minutes, until lightly coloured. Remove from the oil and drain.
6. Increase the heat to 180C, then deep fry the chips for the second time until really well coloured.
7. Add a little salt and serve immediately.
- Desirée potatoes, peeled
- vegetable oil, for deep frying