On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Eastern Europe
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Hot and Cold
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Risotto
- Prep time:
- 5 min, plus 20 mins cooling time
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Jun Tanaka likes to serve his perfectly cooked potato chips with ketchup
Method1. Cut the potatoes into 2cm wide x 6cm long chips.
2. Steam the chips in a steaming basket on the stove (or in an electric combi-steamer), for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through but holding their form. You should be able to crush them lightly with your fingers.
3. Lay the chips on a tray lined with kitchen paper and chill for about 20 minutes.
4. Pour the vegetable oil into a deep fryer and heat to 150C. Deep-fry the chips, in batches if necessary, for 3 minutes or until lightly coloured. Lift out of the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Increase the temperature of the oil to 180C, then deep fry the chips again for 1 minute or until golden brown. Lift out again and serve immediately with ketchup, if desired.
- 4 Maris Piper potatoes, peeled
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- ketchup, to serve (optional)