On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Everyday Easy
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Feast Food
- 21:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Roast Pork, Black Pudding and Gooseberries
- Prep time:
- 5 min, plus extra for cooling
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- 10-15 glasses
Relive the taste of the great outdoors with this traditional British soft drink recipe by Tristan Stephenson
Method1. Place all of the ingredients, except for the sugar and soda water, into a large saucepan and boil for 20 minutes.
2. Filter the mixture into a serving jug, through a sieve lined with a tea towel or muslin cloth. Whilst the mixture is still hot, stir in the sugar until dissolved. Leave the mixture to cool.
3. To serve, add 200ml of soda water to every 50ml of syrup in the jug and stir well, then pour over ice in glass tumblers.
- 600 ml cold water
- 1 tsp ground burdock root
- 1 tsp ground dandelion root
- 2 cm piece ginger, sliced
- 1 whole star anise, crushed
- 1/2 tsp citric acid
- 300 g granulated sugar
- soda water
Tips and suggestions
You can keep any extra syrup mixture in the fridge for up to a week, adding fresh soda water for a quick homemade dandelion and burdock soda. For an alcoholic version, replace the soda with tonic water and gin.