Chicken tagine with couscous
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
An easy recipe to bring a taste of Morocco to your kitchen from Rachel Allen
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- if you don't have a pan big enough to hold the chicken pieces in a single layer, put the chicken in a roasting tin at step 3. Cover with the sauce and cook in a preheated oven at 180C/gas 4 for 30-40 minutes.
Image credit: Rachel's Favourite Food for Friends Published by Gill & Macmillan, Dublin
For the tagine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- 1 x 2.25 kg chicken, jointed and skinned
For the couscous
- 500 g couscous
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 500 ml boiling chicken stock
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander, mint or parsley
- 2 satsumas, peeled and chopped
- lemon wedges
- Greek yogurt
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the tagine: heat the oil in a large saucepan (wide enough to hold all the chicken pieces in a single layer). Add the garlic, onions, ginger and the spices. Season with salt and pepper and cook over a low heat with the lid on for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
2. Add the tomato paste, tinned tomatoes and honey and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the sauce is thick.
3. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cover with the sauce. Simmer over a low heat with the lid on, stirring from time to time, for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. For the couscous: put the couscous in a bowl, add the oil and lemon juice and mix well to coat the grains. Pour over the boiling stock and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover and leave to sit in a warm place until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Use a fork to separate the grains and stir in the herbs and satsuma pieces.
6. To serve: serve the tagine with the couscous, lemon wedges and cooling spoonfuls of yogurt.