On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Party Food
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas
- 21:00 - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- Prep time:
- 5 min, plus setting time
- Cook time:
- 10 min
- makes about 160g
It might sound more English than Worcestershire sauce, but this highly-seasoned anchovy paste is a descendant of the ancient Roman condiment, garum - from Tom Parker Bowles
Method1. Put the butter, mace, cayenne pepper and a little grated nutmeg into a medium-sized pan and melt over a gentle heat.
2. Add the anchovies and stir for a couple of minutes until they have melted, but don't let the mixture boil.
3. Fish out the blades of mace and pour the relish into a ramekin. Put in the fridge to set.
4. Serve spread thinly on hot slices of toast.
- 150 g butter
- 2 blades mace
- pinches cayenne pepper
- pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tins anchovy fillets, drained and mashed roughly
Tips and suggestions
- traditional gentleman's relish is still being made to a secret recipe first formulated in 1828 by John Osborn and is only licensed to be made by one company - Elsenham Quality Foods Ltd. Only the cooks & the product development team know the actual ingredients. The company refer to the secret ingredient as 'Ingredient X' and this is listed as 'herbs and spices' on the packaging.