On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - Hartford, CT
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Niagara Falls
- 21:00 - Man v. Food - Butte
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Peter Gordon's spiced apples sit in a moat of palm sugar and coconut cream sauce
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Using a melon baller, remove the core from the apples, opening up the cavity a little to allow for more stuffing to fit in. Run a knife around the apple 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up from the base - this allows for expansion as it cooks.
3. Mix the grated ginger, ricotta and chocolates together and stuff into the apples. Sit them in the baking dish. Brush with the butter and drizzle the ginger syrup over them.
4. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes, until a skewer can be inserted easily. Sometimes the apples look as though they're exploding - bursting open.
5. Meanwhile make the sauce by putting the palm sugars into a pan with the cloves and apple juice. Boil until the sugars have dissolved, then cook to a thickish syrup. Add the coconut cream and bring to a simmer. Cook gently until the sauce thickens slightly.
6. Serve the apples while still warm with the sauce poured around them. A dollop of crème fraîche on the side is a good idea too.
- 6 apples
- 1 1/2 lumps preserved stem ginger, grated, plus 2 tsp of their syrup
- 100 g ricotta cheese
- 30 g bitter chocolate, chopped
- 70 g milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp melted, unsalted butter
- 40 g dark palm sugar, chopped
- 60 g pale palm sugar, chopped
- 2 cloves, crushed
- 50 ml apple juice
- 250 ml coconut cream
- crème fraîche, to serve