On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Oxfordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - East Sussex
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
A redder than red cranberry sauce brightens up Bryn William's classic winter dish
Method1. For the cranberry sauce: put all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer to a jammy consistency. Leave to cool.
2. For the venison: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
3. Heat a little oil in an ovenproof frying pan, season the venison well and brown on all sides. Transfer to oven for 6-8 minutes, until cooked to your liking. Leave to rest on a board while you make the sauce.
4. Add the shallots to the pan and soften, scraping in all residues from bottom. Add the peppercorns, juniper berries and thyme and cook for a minute to release the flavours. Add the vinegar and reduce down to a dribble. Add the wine and reduce again. Finally add the stock and bubble to a thick and glossy sauce. Strain.
5. For the savoy cabbage: fry the bacon in a knob of butter until crisp. Add the cabbage and chicken stock, clamp on a lid and soften for 3-4 minutes.
6. Serve slices of the venison with the cabbage and a little cranberry sauce.
For the savoy cabbage
- 2 rashers smoked streaky bacon, finely sliced
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 Savoy cabbage, outer leaves and stalk removed, finely sliced
- 1 splashes chicken stock
For the cranberry sauce
- 400 g cranberries
- 50 g caster sugar
- 150 ml water
For the venison