On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Summer Pleasures
- 21:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Easy Entertaining
- 21:40 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Feel Good Food
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
You'll probably have potatoes and onions in the house even if the cupboard are otherwise bare, so you could make Darina Allen's simply delicious soup at a moment's notice
Method1. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. When it foams, add the potatoes and onion and toss in the butter until well coated. Sprinkle with salt and a few grinds of pepper.
2. Cover the vegetables closely with a butter wrapper or disc of greaseproof paper and then the lid of the saucepan. Sweat on a gentle heat for about 10 minutes until softened.
3. Meanwhile bring the stock to the boil in a separate pan. When the vegetables are tender but not coloured, add the hot stock and continue to cook until the vegetables are soft.
4. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Taste for seasoning and reheat, thinning it down with as much milk as you need for a good consistency.
5. Just before serving, fry the slices of chorizo in a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil for a minute or two on each side. Paprika-flavoured oil will render out of the chorizo.
6. Serve three slices of chorizo on top of each bowl of soup. Sprinkle a few flat parsley sprigs on top and drizzle over a little chorizo oil.
- 40 g butter
- 450 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- 900 ml homemade chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- about 250 ml milk
- 12 slices chorizo
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- flat leaf parsley, snipped
Tips and suggestions
- If the chorizo slices are large, cut them into bite-sized pieces before frying.