On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 min
A double gloucester cobbler topping makes this a hearty one-pot dish from the British Cheese Board
Method1. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole and add the whole shallots, swede, carrots, parsnips and leeks. Fry over a high heat for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to brown.
2. Add the butterbeans, cider, sun-dried tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, dried mixed herbs, seasoning and crumbled stock cube. Stir well and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile prepare the cobble topping.
3. For the cobbler: preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
4. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the grated double gloucester and the chives.
5. Beat together the egg and milk and add to the dry ingredients. Mix to a soft dough then roll out onto a lightly floured surface and using a 5cm cutter, stamp out about 9 rounds.
6. Transfer the cooked vegetables to an oven-proof dish and arrange the cobblers around the edge. Brush the tops with a little milk and bake for 20 minutes, until the cobble topping has risen and is pale golden. Serve.
For the stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 225 g shallots, peeled
- 225 g swede, peeled and diced
- 175 g small carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 175 g parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 leeks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 400 g canned butter beans, drained
- 100 ml cider
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
For the cobbler