On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Donut Showdown - Vegas
- 20:30 - Donut Showdown - Zombies
- 21:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Beast, Crazyweed Kitchen, Beer Revolution
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
James Martin uses the tanginess of marmalade and freshness of orange zest to wonderful effect in this irresistible steamed pudding
Method1. Spoon the golden syrup and marmalade into the bottom of a greased pudding bowl.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a food processor. Add the butter, eggs, sugar and orange zest. Blend for about 30 seconds or until thoroughly combined.
3. Pour the mixture into the pudding bowl and use the back of a spoon to level the top. Cover the bowl with greaseproof paper and foil pleated in the centre, pulling the sheets down the outside of the bowl. Tie string around the rim and take it over the top and on the other side to make a handle for lifting. Trim off excess paper all the way around, then place the pudding in a steamer fitted over a saucepan of boiling water. Steam the pudding for 2 hours, checking the water level every 20 minutes.
4. To serve, loosen the pudding using a palette knife and turn out onto a warmed plate. Serve with custard or double cream.
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp marmalade
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 175 g butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 2 oranges, zest only
Tips and suggestions
- Make light work of measuring ingredients such as golden syrup and honey by greasing the spoon first with a little flavourless oil - they will slide straight into the bowl without sticking.