On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - New Tricks
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Making Things Go Further
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Treats
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 30 mins chilling
- Cook time:
- 20 min
James Martin's grandmother's easy shortbread recipe has a light, buttery taste
Method1. Dice the butter and put into a mixing bowl to soften a little. Sift over the flour, caster sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Rub together with your fingertips and form the mixture into a ball.
2. Lightly flour the work surface. Roll out the shortbread and cut into strips approximately 4cm wide and 10cm long. Lay the biscuits out on a greased baking sheet and prick the surfaces all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
4. Sprinkle sugar over the shortbread then bake for 8 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Cool before removing from the baking sheet. Dust with caster sugar before serving with lemon posset.