On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat Glorious Meat
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 30 min
Gary Rhodes brings together crisp roast pork, apple gravy and sweet caramalised honey onions
Method1. For the roast leg of pork: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Put the pork in a roasting tin, score the meat all over with a sharp knife, sprinkle the salt over and brush with olive oil.
3. Roast for one and a half to two hours until golden-brown and crisp. At the end of the cooking time, pierce the thickest part of the meat with a skewer, if the juices come out clear, remove from the oven, cover in aluminium foil and rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
4. For the apple gravy: put the shallots, apples, juice and stock into a pan and cook until the apples are soft and mushy.
5. For the honeyed onions: butter an ovenproof dish and place the onions inside, cut side up. Dot with butter and bake for 20 minutes in the oven at the same temperature as the pork.
6. To finish the apple gravy: when the apples are soft, leave the sauce to cool slightly, then press through a metal sieve into a clean pan to remove any apple bits.
7. To finish the honeyed onions: preheat the grill to hot. Drizzle the honey over the onions and grill until caramelised.
8. Reheat the sauce if necessary and remove the string from the pork before slicing. Serve slices of the pork with the apple gravy and honeyed onions.
Made with produce from Panorama Pedigree Welsh - finalists of the Local Food Hero Awards 2007.
For the roast leg of pork
- 1 kg boneless leg of pork, skin removed, rolled and tied
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the apple gravy
For the honeyed onions