On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
The Hairy Bikers suggests drinking a small glass of port to get you in the mood for cooking this hearty soup, often claimed to be Portugal's national dish
Method1. Heat the oil in a large, wide and deep saute pan and fry the onions and garlic gently for about 5 minutes until transparent, but not browned.
2. Add the chorizo and continue to fry gently. Stir in the diced potatoes.
3. Pour in the stock, add the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently until the potatoes are soft, about 12-15 minutes.
4. In another pan, blanch the greens for 2 minutes in a pan of boiling water to remove any bitterness. Drain and squeeze out any excess liquid.
5. Remove the bay leaves from the potatoes and then mash the potatoes in the broth with a potato masher so a thick chowder is formed. Add as much of the greens to the broth as it will support. If you want a heavy soup add more; if you like it lighter, add less. Simmer for a few minutes more to heat through, then ladle into bowls.
5. For the garnish: mix a little smoked paprika with the remaining olive oil and swirl this into the soup. Serve with chunks of hearty country bread.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200 g chorizo sausages, cut into chunks
- 4 large floury potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g leafy green vegetables such as cabbage, finely sliced
- country-style bread, to serve
For the garnish