On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - Hartford, CT
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Niagara Falls
- 21:00 - Man v. Food - Butte
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 20 min
This simple chicken tagine from the Hairy Bikers would be great made the day before and left so the flavours can infuse
Method1. Put the saffron in the stock to infuse.
2. Meanwhile, gently fry the onions in the olive oil until soft. Add the ginger, cumin and garlic and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat with the onion and spices. Sprinkle over the crushed peppercorns and preserved lemon. Add the saffron infused stock and bring to the boil.
4. Cover and cook on a very gentle heat for 1 hour, or until the chicken is falling apart. Add the olives and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the chopped coriander and parsley just before serving. Serve with crusty bread or couscous.
Cooks' note: if you are using a Tagine pot to make this dish, soak it for about 3 hours before its initial use if it is unglazed. Use a diffusion plate on your cooker, so it doesn't crack. Tagines are not suitable for Halogen hobs, but can be used in the oven.
- 1/2 tsp saffron, crushed
- 250 ml hot chicken stock
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 chicken, jointed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 6 small preserved lemons, quartered (or 2 large ones, chopped)
- 100 g mixed olives
- 1 handfuls coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 handfuls flat leaf parsley, chopped
- crusty bread, or couscous to serve
Tips and suggestions
- Try making your own preserved lemons