On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat with the Most
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter.
Mitch Tonks poaches mackerel in a sweet and spiced broth to imbue it with flavour
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Put all the dried spices and the ginger (but not the bay leaves) into a mortar. Give them a quick bash with the pestle to break the seeds and berries open. Transfer to a saucepan and add the bay leaves, vinegar, water, wine and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Put the fish flesh-side down in a casserole dish, sprinkle with a little salt and strain the spiced liquid over the top, discarding the spices. Add the sliced garlic and onion. The fish should be just covered; top it up with a little water if necessary.
4. Cover the dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh mint before serving.
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 allspice berries
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- pinches mace
- 2 small dried chillies
- 2.5 cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 50 ml water
- 50 ml dry white wine
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 mackerel, filleted
- pinches salt
- 6 cloves
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- handfuls mint, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
Tips and suggestions
- Mitch serves this mackerel with his fennel, herb and chilli salad