On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 4
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- 2 or 4 as a starter
The secret to Giorgio Locatelli's perfect risotto consistency is the mantecatura - cold butter beaten in at the end of cooking
Method1. You need to cut 12 very thin (about 2mm) slices of scallop to garnish the risotto - do this first and keep these slices on one side. Chop the rest of the scallops into a small dice, together with the corals.
2. To make the risotto, bring the stock to the boil in a pan next to where you are going to make your risotto. Turn down the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
3. Melt the butter in a heavy-based pan and add the onion. Cook gently until softened, but not coloured (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the rice and stir around to coat in the butter and 'toast' the grains. Make sure all the grains are warm, before adding 120ml of the prosecco. Let the alcohol evaporate completely until the onions and rice are dry.
5. Start to add the stock a ladleful or two at a time, stirring and scraping the rice in the pan as you do so. When each addition of stock has almost evaporated, add the next ladleful. Carry on cooking the risotto for about 15-17 minutes, adding stock continuously as above, but slow up towards the end, so that the rice doesn't become too wet. Remember you don't want it to be soupy at this stage, as when you add the butter at the end, it will become too sloppy. The risotto is ready when the grains are soft, but still al dente.
6. Turn down the heat, add the diced scallop and corals, season and add the lemon juice. Check the seasoning again and adjust it if necessary.
7. For the mantecatura: with a wooden spoon, vigorously beat the cold diced butter into the risotto, making sure you shake the pan energetically at the same time as you beat. If it is too firm, beat in the rest of the Prosecco (rather than hot stock this time) - so that it is all'onda (rippling like waves).
8. Just before serving, lightly season the scallop slices with salt and a few twists of black pepper. Put 3 on top of each dish of risotto - the heat of it will cook the scallops straightaway. Drizzle with a little extra Prosecco.