On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Roast Pork, Black Pudding and Gooseberries
- 21:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Blueberry Coronation Chicken and Two Course Pasty
- 22:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Pizza, Blackberry Beer and Chicken Pie
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
A classic restaurant dish from Simon Hopkinson
Method1. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until very hot. Generously season the fatty edges of the steaks with salt. Pressed together as one double thickness steak, put them fatty-edge down into the dry pan. Turn down the heat to medium and cook until they have crisped up and exuded their fat into the pan.
2. Once the fat is crisped, lay the steaks flat in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking. Lift out and keep warm on the plate whilst you make the sauce.
3. Tip up the pan and remove the pool of fat with kitchen paper, but do not wipe out the crispy bits. Add the butter. When it froths add the green peppercorns and squash some of them into the butter using the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the garlic and cognac and bubble for a few moments.
4. Whisk in the mustard and cream. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until the sauce has a good consistency. Serve with the steaks.