Liver and onions with bacon
From: The People's Cookbook
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Michel Roux Jr and Michel Roux Snr
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers' Guide - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers Guide: Ep 8
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - On the Frontline
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Sheila Day serves this great British favourite alongside creamy mash and lightly buttered carrots
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the bacon over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
2. Add the onions to the pan and fry in the bacon fat on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes, until soft. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in the casserole dish, leaving as much fat in the pan as possible.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
4. Coat the liver in a little of the flour and lightly fry on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, adding a little more oil as necessary. Put the liver in the casserole dish along with the onions.
5. Add the remaining flour to the pan and stir into the fat to create a roux. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add the water to the frying pan, stirring between each addition and bring to a simmer until the gravy thickens. Stir in the stock cube. Add the gravy to the casserole, cover and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
6. Steam the carrots for 10-15 minutes until tender, then toss in 25g of the butter.
7. Mash the boiled potatoes with the remaining butter, milk, salt and freshly ground pepper and beat well with a wooden spoon.
8. Add the bacon to the casserole just before serving. Serve the liver alongside the mash and steamed carrots.