On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 5
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Bread
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus marinating
- Cook time:
- 10 min
- 4 as a side dish
Tikka means morsel in Hindi, and here Punjabi chef Manjit Gill makes grilled morsels of spiced Indian cheese
Method1. Soak 4-6 bamboo skewers in cold water for 20 minutes.
2. Cut the paneer into 4cm cubes. Sprinkle with the yellow chilli powder and the salt. Toss everything together and ensure the paneer is evenly coated. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Combine the gramflour with the carom seeds and cream. Coat each paneer cube in the spiced cream and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the grill to its hottest setting. Thread the paneer onto the skewers and sear under the grill for 3-5 minutes on each side - until deliciously smoky and charred at the edges. Serve straight away, sprinkled with garam masala.
- 350 g paneer
- 3/4 tbsp yellow chilli powder, (or red chilli powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 1 heaped tsp carom seeds, (ajwain)
- 50 ml double cream
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
Tips and suggestions
- these paneer morsels are also ideal for cooking over glowing charcoal.
About Manjit Gill
With over three decades of culinary experience behind him, Manjit Gill has made cooking his life’s passion. He has specialised in European and north Indian cuisine. In January 2007, he received a “Life Time Achievement” national award from the Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India. He currently works as a corporate chef for the luxury hotel company, ITC WelcomGroup.