Sweet potato and pecan pie
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
- 6 - 8
Cinnamon and allspice add a touch of spice to Charita Jones' rich and creamy American-style dessert
For the pastry
For the pie filling
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the pastry: combine the flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl and using 2 knives in a scissor action cut the butter into the flour until it forms coarse crumbs. Add the water a tablespoon at a time, mixing it with the knives until it forms a soft dough bringing it together with your hands. Gently shape the dough into a smooth ball and flatten it before wrapping in cling film and chilling for 30 minutes
2. For the pie filling: preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
3. Put the sweet potatoes in their skins in a pan of water and bring to the boil, simmer until they are soft but not falling apart. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and as soon as they are cool enough to handle peel off the skins and put the flesh in a large bowl.
4. Add the butter and sugar and mix together with an electric mixer or potato masher until smooth. Add the condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and lemon juice and beat again until smooth.
5. Roll out the pastry to a thin circle, large enough to line a 23 cm flan tin, line the tin with the pastry, trim the edges and pinch them at the top to flute them.
6. Spoon the filling into the pastry case, smooth down the surface and top with the pecans. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes - 1 hour until the filling is firm and golden brown.
7. Leave to cool slightly on a wire rack, before carefully removing from the flan tin and serving warm or cold with ice cream.