On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Paul Hollywood's Bread - Paul Hollywood's Bread
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Cooking for Friends and Family
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Grow Your Own
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min, plus cooling
A lemon drizzle cake with a dense and moist sponge from Diana Henry
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and base-line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.
2. For the syrup: put the water, sugar and lemon juice into a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring to help the sugar dissolve. Once dissolved, bring the mixture to the boil and boil for 7 minutes. Leave to cool.
3. For the cake: Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the almonds, sugar, salt and baking powder, stir to mix, then make a well in the centre. Place the eggs, yogurt and oil into the well and stir with a wooden spoon, gradually incorporating the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the top and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it out, remove the lining paper and place the cake on a plate that has a slight dip in it to catch the syrup.
5. While the cake is still warm, pierce holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer and slowly spoon the syrup over, letting it soak in completely.
6. To serve: dust with icing sugar and serve with berries and crème fraîche or yogurt.
For the syrup
For the cake
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 110 g ground almonds
- 150 g caster sugar
- good pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250 g plain Greek yogurt
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- icing sugar
- summer berries
- creme fraiche or Greek yogurt