On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 4 hrs chilling
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Stuart Gillies serves silky smooth baked custards with a crisp sugar shell and lemon grass scented rhubarb
Method1. For the poached rhubarb, put the orange juice, water, sugar, grenadine and lemon grass in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes to make a syrup.
2. Add the rhubarb and gently poach for 3-5 minutes until it is just tender. Remove from the heat and allow the rhubarb to cool in its liquid.
3. For the brulée: preheat the oven to 90C/Gas 2.
4. Combine all of the brulée ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture into 4 ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until just set in the middle.
5. Leave the brulées to cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
6. Before serving, sprinkle the tops of the brulées lightly with demerara sugar, and glaze with a cook's blow torch or under a hot grill. Serve with the poached rhubarb.
For the poached rhubarb
- 600 ml smooth orange juice
- 100 ml water
- 100 g sugar
- 50 ml grenadine
- 1 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 450 g rhubarb, peeled and cut into short lengths
For the brulée
- 4 egg yolks
- 60 g caster sugar
- 50 ml milk
- 400 ml double cream
- 50 ml Baileys or another cream liqueur
- demerara sugar, for glazing