Rhubarb and ginger trifle
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 1
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 5
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Family Favourites
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Diana Henry layers up sweet poached rhubarb with ginger and almond crumble and creamy yogurt in this easy trifle
- 125 ml water
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 balls preserved stem ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup, from a jar of stem ginger in syrup
- 900 g rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into 3cm pieces
- 200 g ginger biscuits
- 40 ml sherry
- 50 g toasted blanched flaked almonds, plus more for decoration
- 450 ml double cream
- 6 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 6 tbsp icing sugar, or to taste
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Put the water in a pan with the sugar, stem ginger and its syrup. Bring to the boil, stirring a little to help the sugar dissolve, then simmer until the mixture is quite syrupy.
2. Add the sliced rhubarb, cover and cook on a very low heat until just tender, about 7 minutes. You don't want to stew the rhubarb, or let the pieces break up too much. Lift the rhubarb out with a slotted spoon onto a large plate - you want the fruit to cool down as quickly as possible and not continue to cook.
3. Meanwhile, roughly break up the ginger biscuits and toasted flaked almonds in a bag with a rolling pin and put in a bowl. Sprinkle the sherry over and mix in the almonds.
4. Whip the cream in a clean bowl then beat in the yogurt and icing sugar.
5. Layer the components up in a large glass bowl, or in small glasses, starting with rhubarb and finishing with some cream. (You'll probably only manage 2 layers of each).
6. Just before serving, sprinkle over some toasted flaked almonds, or, if you prefer, decorate with wafer thin slices of preserved ginger.