On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Los Angeles
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 1
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 10
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Diana Henry layers up sweet poached rhubarb with ginger and almond crumble and creamy yogurt in this easy trifle
Method1. Put the water in a pan with the sugar, stem ginger and its syrup. Bring to the boil, stirring a little to help the sugar dissolve, then simmer until the mixture is quite syrupy.
2. Add the sliced rhubarb, cover and cook on a very low heat until just tender, about 7 minutes. You don't want to stew the rhubarb, or let the pieces break up too much. Lift the rhubarb out with a slotted spoon onto a large plate - you want the fruit to cool down as quickly as possible and not continue to cook.
3. Meanwhile, roughly break up the ginger biscuits and toasted flaked almonds in a bag with a rolling pin and put in a bowl. Sprinkle the sherry over and mix in the almonds.
4. Whip the cream in a clean bowl then beat in the yogurt and icing sugar.
5. Layer the components up in a large glass bowl, or in small glasses, starting with rhubarb and finishing with some cream. (You'll probably only manage 2 layers of each).
6. Just before serving, sprinkle over some toasted flaked almonds, or, if you prefer, decorate with wafer thin slices of preserved ginger.
- 125 ml water
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 balls preserved stem ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup, from a jar of stem ginger in syrup
- 900 g rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into 3cm pieces
- 200 g ginger biscuits
- 40 ml sherry
- 50 g toasted blanched flaked almonds, plus more for decoration
- 450 ml double cream
- 6 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 6 tbsp icing sugar, or to taste