On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 5
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 6
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 1
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs
A rich dish of tender pork cheeks in dark meaty gravy from Claridges' chef Mark Sargeant
Method1. For the pork cheeks: heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Brown the pork cheeks all over and finish by adding a knob of butter. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the frying pan and cook until caramelised to a rich golden brown. Stir in the tomato puree and fry for a further minute. Add the honey and cloves and increase the heat until the honey is bubbling.
3. Preheat the oven to 150C/Gas 2.
4. Pour the honey and vegetable mixture into an ovenproof casserole then add the browned pork cheeks and any of their juices, the thyme and the bay. Season. Pour over enough of the boiling chicken stock to cover and put on the heat to return to the boil.
5. Cover the casserole and braise in the oven with a lid for 2-2 ½ hours until the meat is starting to fall apart.
6. Remove the meat from the casserole and keep warm. Strain the sauce and reduce by about 2/3 until it is the consistency you would like for a sauce. Check the seasoning.
7. For the caramelised Braeburns: core and peel the apples and cut them into quarters.
8. Sprinkle the sugar in a heavy-based pan. Add the butter and melt over a high heat until it begins to foam. Add the pepper and apples, and tip the pan from side to side to coat the apples in the peppery butter. Cook for 5-7 minutes until evenly caramelised, turning them several times. Season with a little salt then remove from the heat to cool slightly.
9. For the bashed neeps: boil the swede in salted water until tender. Drain well then mash and beat in the butter, nutmeg and season.
10. Serve the pork cheeks with the bashed neeps and caramelised Braeburns with the sauce spooned over.
For the pork cheeks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 700 g cheeks pork, trimmed
- 2-3 knobs butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml clear honey
- 1 tsp cloves
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 750 ml boiling chicken stock
For the caramelised Braeburns
For the bashed neeps