Watercress and potato soup
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
Submitted by: scanneli68
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Mark Sargeant adds a touch of luxury to this classic soup with an oyster and crème fraiche garnish
- 1 litres vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a drizzle to serve
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 200 g waxy potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 250 g watercress, washed
- small handful spinach leaves
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Bring the stock to the boil.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Soften the shallot and potatoes for 5-7 minutes but do not allow them to colour. Pour in the stock and bring to a rolling boil.
3. Drop in the watercress and spinach and as soon as the leaves wilt, remove the pan from the heat.
4. Transfer the leaves and potatoes to a food processor and blend until smooth then gradually add the liquor until the soup becomes smooth and velvety.
5. Poach the oysters in their own juice for 2 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon.
6. Serve the soup in wide shallow bowls with the oysters and a spoonful of crème fraiche on top. Garnish with chervil or watercress and a drizzle of olive oil.