On TV Tonight
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- 22:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- 23:00 - Rick Stein's Memoirs of a Seafood Chef - Rick Stein's Memoirs of A Seafood Chef
Method1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins.
2. Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat it hard with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, like whipped cream.
3. Break the eggs into small bowl and add the vanilla extract. Beat the mixture lightly with a fork.
4. With the mixer running on full speed add the egg very gradually to the butter/sugar mixture. It's important to do this slowly and gradually, to stop the mixture curdling. Once all the eggs are in, fold in the flour with a spatula or large spoon. The mixture should now be of a dropping consistency, so add a drop of water if it's too thick.
5. With a spatula or large spoon scoop half the mixture into each of the two sandwich tins. Transfer to the centre of the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until well risen and golden brown. To check they are cooked, slide a sharp knife blade into the centre of the sponge - the knife should come out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and leave the cakes in the tins to cool for a couple of minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before decorating.
7. Once the cakes are completely cool, spread the jam onto one half and the whipped cream onto the other. Sandwich them together and dust the top with caster sugar.