On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 4
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
Alan Coxon presents a rich and spicy surf'n turf stew of beef shin, gammon and prawns, served with rice and sliced bananas
Method1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, stir in the onion and cook gently until soft and translucent.
2. Add the beef and gammon and stir well until browned all over, then stir in the chilli, peppers, cayenne, paprika and crushed peppercorns. Pour in the stock and simmer gently for about 1½ hours.
3. Stir in the cabbage, lettuce and spinach and cook for a further 15 minutes, then add the prawns, lime juice and chopped thyme. Cook for 2-3 minutes and season to taste.
4. Serve immediately with boiled rice and sliced banana.
- 50 g butter
- 3 onions, finely diced
- 1.1 kg beef shin, trimmed and diced
- 225 g rashers of gammon, diced
- 3 red bird's eye chillies, finely diced
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 peppercorns, crushed
- 2 litres beef stock
- 225 g green cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 small lettuce, finely shredded
- 55 g baby spinach
- 125 g shelled prawns
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp thyme, finely chopped
- 2 bananas
- boiled rice