On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Every Cake Tells a Story
- 20:30 - Choccywoccydoodah - Show Business
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - New York
Submitted by: arikel
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
Spaghetti bolognese has both savoury and sweet components in Ben Mitchell's hearty sauce
Method1. For the tomato sauce: put all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile start the bolognese sauce.
2. For the bolognese: heat half the oil in a frying pan and add the minced beef. Cook stirring until the meat is brownd the add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, herbs, bay leaves and sugar. Set aside.
3. In another pan heat the remaining olive oil and cook the red onions until softened. Add the honey during the last 2 minutes and cook over a high heat, stirring, until dark brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. In the same pan add the courgettes, mushrooms, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook until golden.
5. Return the pan with the meat to the heat and add the borwned onions, the courgette and mushroom mixture and the tomato sauce. Stir in the red wine and parsley and cook for 5 minutes.
6. To serve: Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of salted boiling water. Drain and place in a warmed serving bowl. Toss in the butter and parsley. Pile the spaghetti onto serving plates, top with the meat sauce and a sprinkling of fresh parsley, grated cheese and black pepper.
For the tomato sauce
- 4-5 tomatoes
- 3 red peppers
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1-2 cloves garlic, roasted
- pinch brown sugar
- 250 ml red wine
- 1 sprigs each basil, rosemary, thyme and parsley
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the bolognese
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 900 g lean minced beef
- 3 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- pinches dried herbs, (optional)
- 6 large dried bay leaves
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 3 courgettes, chopped
- 2 large handfuls button mushrooms, halved
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- splash rich red wine, such as merlot
- small handful freshly chopped parsley