On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
An unusual combination creates a sweet scone, perfectly complemented with honey cream
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Grease 2 baking trays.
3. Cook the parsnips in boiling salted water for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
4. Rub the butter into the flour either with your fingertips, or in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Mash the parsnips roughly, leaving them quite chunky. Stir into the butter and flour mixture.
6. Stir in the honey, then the eggs. Slowly add the milk to form a soft dough.
7. Knead lightly on a floured surface and pat or roll out to about 2.5cm thick. Cut into rounds using a cutter and place on the baking trays. Bake for 10 minutes.
8. For the glaze: mix the honey and water. Remove the scones from the oven and brush with the glaze.
9. Return the scones to the oven for a further 10 minutes until golden brown.
10. To serve: eat warm with butter or leave to cool and serve with some honey cream.
For the scones
- 550 g parsnips, chopped
- 55 g unsalted butter
- 900 g self-raising flour
- 3-4 free-range eggs
- milk, to bind
- 4-6 tsp strong-flavoured honey
For the glaze
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-2 tsp boiling water
Tips and suggestions
Instead of rubbing in you could use a food processor to give a smoother finish. Bake for 10 minutes then swap shelves to ensure even baking.