On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Making It Up Isn't Making Do
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Leftovers
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Alex Mackay shows that with a packet of dried mushrooms in the cupboard you can produce a sophisticated sauce in next to no time
Method1. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a small saucepan and boil hard until the volume of liquid has reduced by half. Remove from the heat.
2. Place the dried porcini in a medium-sized heatproof bowl, cover with the reduced chicken stock and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
3. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the porcini dry and set their soaking liquor aside.
4. Heat the oil in a shallow saucepan and fry the rehydrated porcini and chestnuts together for 1 minute.
5. Add the brandy and stand back as it will flame! Bring to a boil and simmer until the pan is almost dry. Add the soaking liquor from the porcini, bring to a boil and simmer until the volume of liquid has reduced by half.
6. Add the double cream, bring to the boil and boil for 30 seconds or until the sauce is just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the sliced parsley and season to taste.