On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Aberdeenshire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Staffordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Argyll and Bute
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 20 min
Martin Blunos serves meaty faggots with a flavoursome onion gravy and mushy peas for a satisfying dinner
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3
2. For the faggots: place the minced meats into a large bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs, oatmeal, spices and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Mix the sage with the parsley. Pull some of the leaves from the thyme (reserve the stems) and mix with the sage and parsley. Stir into the meat mixture. Form the mixture into 8 even-sized balls. If it is too dry add a little cold water.
4. Drain the caul, squeeze out the excess moisture and spread out onto a board. Wrap each ball in caul overlapping slightly. Place the balls in a roasting tin or baking dish, not too far apart. Insert the thyme stems and bay leaves into the crevices between the balls. Flatten slightly with the back of your hand and pour over the stock.
5. Cook in the oven for about 50 minutes, basting from time to time with the cooking juices.
6. Remove from the oven, pour off the juices and skim off the fat. Use the juices for the onion gravy.
7. For the mushy peas: drain the peas and place in a pan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Cook until the peas are soft and the water absorbed. Add the butter, vinegar (or lemon juice) and the sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Beat with a wooden spoon until soft.
8. For the gravy: heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and very gently cook the onions for about 30 minutes until soft and golden. Add the flour, mixing well.
9. Add the faggot juices and enough of the stock to make a gravy consistency. Bring to the boil, skim, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
10. To serve: place a dollop of mushy peas in the centre of the plate. Place the faggots on top with mashed potatoes and pour the onion gravy over and around.
For the faggots
- 200 g fat belly pork, coarsely minced
- 80 g lean shoulder pork, coarsely minced
- 250 g fresh pig’s liver, tubes removed and coarsely minced
- 100 g streaky bacon
- 60 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30 g oatmeal
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- pinches ground cloves
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- small bunches thyme
- 1.5 kg caul fat, (see Cook’s Note) soaked in cold salted water for 2 hours
- 2 bay leaves
- 50 ml chicken stock
For the gravy
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- faggot pan juices, skimmed of fat
- 500 ml beef stock
For the mushy peas
- 450 g dried marrowfat peas, soaked in water overnight
- 25 g butter
- pinches sugar
- vinegar, or lemon juice
- mashed potato, to serve
Tips and suggestions
Caul is an edible membrane surrounding the intestines of animals that is very suited to basting.