On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Potatoes and Veg
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Puddings
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Life in the Old Bird?
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus cooling time for the purée
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
- Makes 1 x 30cm cake
James Martin's lusciously moist carrot cake is sandwiched with velvety orange-liqueur whipped cream and drizzled with orange liqueur icing
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Grease a 30cm round cake tin with butter.
3. To make the cake: place the carrots in a medium pan, just cover with water and add the orange juice. Bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain, but do not cool.
4. Put the carrots, corn oil, sugar and 4 egg yolks in to blender or food processor and blend to a purée. Leave to cool.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
6. Place the carrot purée in a mixing bowl and gently fold in the flour and baking powder and mix well together. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and cooked. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
7. Whisk the double cream until thick but not stiff and gradually stir in the liqueur.
8. When the cake is cold, cut it in half horizontally and sandwich with the whipped cream.
9. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the liqueur and water until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Drizzle over the cake and leave to set.
For the cake
- 5 medium-sized carrots, sliced
- 1 orange, juice only
- 125 ml corn oil
- 375 g caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs, separated
- 350 g plain flour
- 15 g baking powder
For the filling
- 500 ml double cream
- 2-3 tbsp orange liqueur
For the topping
- 110 g icing sugar
- 1.5 tsp orange liqueur
- 1.5 tsp water