On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Cake with Friends
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Classic Twists
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
- Makes 8
James Martin's exquisite chocolate tart is topped with luscious raspberries and served with a delectable sweet fennel and mint oil
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Grease 8 x 10cm diameter plain tartlet tins.
3. Roll out the pastry dough and line the prepared tins, but do not trim the dough. Prick the bases and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool in the tins.
4. To make the filling: melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering (not boiling) water. Allow to cool slightly, and then pour into a mixing bowl. Whisk in the eggs and sugar, and then gently fold in the cream with a metal spoon.
5. Spoon the mixture into the pastry cases until half full and sprinkle with the raspberries. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until just slightly cooked. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then trim off the excess pastry.
6. To make the fennel oil: place the fennel slices in a pan with the sugar and water. Heat gently over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved then increase the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the fennel is translucent. Stir in the mint and oil. If there is time, chill the mixture until ready to serve. Pass the oil through a sieve.
7. To serve: serve the tarts warm with a dusting of cocoa powder, a scoop of ice cream and some of the fennel oil around the edge.
- 225 g sweet shortcrust pastry
For the filling
- 300 g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa solids
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 50 g caster sugar
- 50 ml double cream
- 200 g raspberries
For the fennel oil
- 1 bulb fennel, with fronds, thinly sliced
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the decoration