On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Plum Compote, Waldorf Salad and Flapjacks
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets - Party Food
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 45 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
A wild mushroom stock makes the base for this richly-flavoured risotto from The Oxo Tower restaurant
Method1. Place all the ingredients for the vegetable nage into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover with cling film. Leave until cold and then pass through a fine sieve.
2. For the cep stock: melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the shallots, dried ceps, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
3. Add the madeira and cook until reduced to a syrup.
4. Add the vegetable nage and simmer for 5 minutes. Pass through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and keep hot.
5. For the risotto: melt half of the butter in a large frying pan and add the shallots. Cook for 3-4 minutes, over a gentle heat until softened but not browned.
6. Add the risotto rice and white wine.
7. Add the cep stock to the rice a little at a time, slowly stirring the risotto all the time.
8. Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and fry the fresh ceps for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
9. Add the mascarpone, parmesan, walnuts, sautéed ceps and balsamic vinegar to the risotto. Stir in the walnut oil and the chopped parsley.
10. Slice the roasted quail breasts.
11. Divide the risotto between 4 warmed dishes or plates, top with slices of quail breasts serve at once.
- 2 quail breasts, roasted
For the vegetable nage
- 250 ml white wine
- 250 ml Noilly Prat vermouth
- 1 tbsp pink peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- 2 leeks
- 400 g carrots
- 200 g celery
- 100 g fennel
- 250 g shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- small bunch chervil
- small bunch parsley
For the cep stock
- 30 g butter
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 50 g cep mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 350 ml madeira
- 1.5 litres vegetable nage
For the risotto