On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Chicago Edition: Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, Beef, Manny's Delicatessan
- 20:30 - You Gotta Eat Here - Rock Lobster, Harper's Burger Bar, Casa Calzone
- 21:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Stoneface Dolly's, Hadley's, Rick's Fish and Chips and Seafood House
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus overnight soaking
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 15 min
Fuchsia Dunlop's unusual breakfast dish combines exotic Chinese ingredients to make a sweet comforting porridge
Method1. Soak the lotus seeds and day-lily bulbs in water overnight.
2. Rinse all the ingredients except for the wolfberries (reserve these to add later) and place them in a large pan, along with the drained lotus seeds, day-lily bulbs and the water.
3. Bring to the boil, skim off any scum, then simmer on a very gentle heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and adding more water if necessary. You should end up with a loose, soupy porridge.
4. Shortly before the porridge is ready, add the wolfberries and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
5. Serve warm, with sugar or honey to taste.
- 15 g day-lily bulbs
- 15 g lotus seeds
- 15 g raw peanuts, in their pink skins
- 15 g walnuts
- 10 g mung beans
- 10 g azuki beans
- 10 g Chinese wolfberries, (goji berries)
- 20 g dried Chinese dates, (jujubes)
- 50 g black glutinous rice
- 50 g white glutinous rice
- 50 g white long-grain rice
- 3 litres water
- sugar or honey, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- Other possible additions are 10g raw barley and 10g dried foxnuts, which are occasionally found in Chinese grocers