Eight treasure black rice porridge
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus overnight soaking
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 15 min
Fuchsia Dunlop's unusual breakfast dish combines exotic Chinese ingredients to make a sweet comforting porridge
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Other possible additions are 10g raw barley and 10g dried foxnuts, which are occasionally found in Chinese grocers
- 15 g day-lily bulbs
- 15 g lotus seeds
- 15 g raw peanuts, in their pink skins
- 15 g walnuts
- 10 g mung beans
- 10 g azuki beans
- 10 g Chinese wolfberries, (goji berries)
- 20 g dried Chinese dates, (jujubes)
- 50 g black glutinous rice
- 50 g white glutinous rice
- 50 g white long-grain rice
- 3 litres water
- sugar or honey, to serve
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Soak the lotus seeds and day-lily bulbs in water overnight.
2. Rinse all the ingredients except for the wolfberries (reserve these to add later) and place them in a large pan, along with the drained lotus seeds, day-lily bulbs and the water.
3. Bring to the boil, skim off any scum, then simmer on a very gentle heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and adding more water if necessary. You should end up with a loose, soupy porridge.
4. Shortly before the porridge is ready, add the wolfberries and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
5. Serve warm, with sugar or honey to taste.