On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 2
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets - Restaurant Revelations
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
- Makes 4 jars
Rachel Allen's spicy tomato and apple chutney is bursting with juicy currants, onions and spiced with cayenne, allspice and ginger.
Method1. Place all the ingredients in a large stainless steel saucepan, season well and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved completely.
2. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer on a low heat, stirring regularly (to make sure the mixture does not burn on the bottom of the pan) for about 1 hour or until thick and pulpy.
3. Pour into hot sterilised jars and cover.
4. This is best left to mature for 1-2 weeks before eating if possible.
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 200 g onions, chopped
- 100 g raisins or sultanas
- 250 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 300 g sugar
- 225 ml vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves, (optional)
Tips and suggestions
- To sterilise the jars: wash thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinse and heat in a moderate oven for 5 minutes.