On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - South Australia Part I
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Beer and Cider
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Rachel Allen's delectably moist ginger cake is topped with lightly caramelised rhubarb for a fabulous dessert or treat at any time
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Melt the butter in a 26cm diameter oven-proof frying pan.
3. Stir in 125g sugar and cook on a gentle heat for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the rhubarb, remove from the heat and set aside.
5. Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
6. In a measuring jug or small bowl whisk the egg and add the remaining brown sugar, the buttermilk, oil and ginger, and mix well.
7. Whisk in the dry ingredients until combined to form a liquid batter.
8. Pour the mixture over the rhubarb in the pan.
9. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cake feels firm in the centre. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a serving plate.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature with softly whipped cream.