On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat with the Most
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs 30 min
Nell Nelson serves a fantastic looking dish of crispy duck sitting on roasted vegetables on a bed of stunning pink beetroot sauce
Method1. Preheat the oven to 140C/gas 1.
2. Place four duck legs in a baking dish so they fit snugly. Sprinkle salt and paprika on the duck legs.
3. Pour on the rosé wine and red wine vinegar.
4. Add enough water so the liquid comes just up to the duck's haunches; this will help to steam the duck.
5. Cover the duck with a lid and cook on the bottom shelf of the oven for 3 hours until the duck is tender and coming away from the bone.
6. To make the vegetables: cook the vegetables in boiling salted water for about 5-10 minutes until half cooked.
7. Cut the carrots and parsnips into batons and cut the unpeeled sweet potatoes into rounds.
8. Strain off most of the fat and juices from the cooked duck and add the prepared vegetables to the cooked duck.
9. Increase the oven temperature to 230C/gas 8
10. Place the duck and vegetables in the oven for 10 minutes to crisp up the duck skin.
11. To make the beetroot sauce: melt the butter in a medium pan, add the flour and cook gently.
12. Stir in the chicken stock and white wine and continue cooking until creamy.
13. Add the beetroot and stir well, so the sauce doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan.
14. To serve: spread the beetroot sauce on the middle of each plate, followed by slices of sweet potatoes, then the parsnip and carrot batons, then the crispy duck.
For the beetroot sauce
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml white wine
- 100 g cooked beetroot, finely chopped
For the duck
For the roasted vegetables