On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Donut Showdown - The Great Canadian Donut
- 20:30 - Donut Showdown - Harvest
- 21:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Calabash, Chuck's Burger Bar, Sky Blue Sky
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Fuchsia Dunlop's wonderfully flavoursome recipe combines pork, bean curd and black beans in this authentic Chinese dish
Method1. Put the pork in a bowl, add the rice wine and salt and mix well. Set aside.
2. Cut the bean curd into oblong slices, about 1cm thick.
3. Cut the spring onion greens and chillies into thin diagonal slices, discarding the chilli seeds as far as possible.
4. Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat to 180-200C.
5. Add the bean curd in 3 or 4 batches and fry until the slices are just golden. Drain and set aside on kitchen paper.
6. Pour off the oil, reserving 3 tablespoons.
7. Clean the wok, then reheat it over a high heat until smoke rises, add the reserved oil and swirl it around.
8. Add the garlic and chillies and sizzle for a few seconds until fragrant.
9. Add the pork and as it becomes pale, add the black beans, stirring all the time.
10. When everything is hot and fragrant, pour in the stock, add the bean curd and dark soy sauce and bring to the boil.
11. Reduce the heat and simmer for several minutes to allow the flavours of the sauce to enter the bean curd.
12. Add salt to taste, if necessary.
13. Add the potato flour mixture and stir in the spring onions.
14. To serve: remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil and chilli oil. Serve in a bowl with steamed Chinese or Thai sticky rice.
- 75 g boneless lean pork, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp rice wine
- ½ tsp salt
- 500 g tofu
- 3 spring onions, green parts only
- 2 long red chillies
- 200 ml groundnut oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp black fermented beans, rinsed
- 200 ml chicken stock
- ¼ tsp dark soy sauce
- ¾ tsp potato flour, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp chilli oil