On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Baltimore
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Pennsylvania
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus up to 30 mins standing
- Cook time:
- 50 min
- makes 12
Rachel Allen's lightly spiced flatbreads are the perfect accompaniment to curry and are much tastier than shop-bought bread
Method1. Mix the flours, spices and salt in a bowl.
2. Add the warm water, and mix to a dough, kneading for 2 minutes.
3. Divide into 12 pieces, cover and leave to rest - if possible for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out each piece of dough to 1/2 cm thickness.
5. Heat a griddle or frying pan over a medium heat.
6. Cook each piece of dough on the frying pan or griddle for about 2 minutes on each side, until speckled with brown.
7. Keep warm, wrapped in a tea towel. They should be soft not crisp.
- 125 g strong bread flour
- 150 g plain flour, (you could use 1/2 white and 1/2 wholemeal flour here)
- 1-2 tsp fennel seeds, or cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 175 ml warm water
Tips and suggestions
- These breads are not traditionally made for curry, but I love to scoop up a spicy curry with them.
Variations: Sometimes I add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander to the dough, with the flour.