On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Eastern Europe
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Hot and Cold
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Risotto
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 45 min
Jean-Christophe Novelli's sumptuous strawberry, cream and meringue dessert is the perfect ending to a summer meal
Method1. Preheat the oven to 100C/gas 1/4
2. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking parchment.
3. Whisk together the egg whites and sugar in a bowl set over a bain marie (pan of gently simmering water) until the mix forms a thick trail when the whisk is removed.
4. Remove the bowl from the bain marie, and continue to whisk for about 2 minutes or until the mixture has cooled down significantly.
5. Using 2 spoons, spoon 6 meringues onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking parchment.
6. Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes until dry and crisp. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
7. When cold, roughly crush the meringues, combine with the strawberries and cream, and pile in a serving bowl.
- 3 egg whites
- 175 g caster sugar
- 600 ml double cream, whisked until stiff
- 700 g strawberries, hulled and sliced
Tips and suggestions
- To make a dessert called Whim Wham substitute raspberries for the strawberries.