On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat with the Most
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- Prep time:
- 40 min, plus 30 mins resting for pastry
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
Frank Bordoni prepares traditional steak and kidney pie using his mum's tried and trusted recipe
Method1. Season the flour and toss the steak and kidney in it to coat.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large pan and fry the meat for 5 minutes or until brown.
3. Add the onions and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring.
4. Add the bay leaves, stout and stock.
5. Stir in the gravy browning and cook for 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
6. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, until the meat is tender.
7. For the pastry, mix the flour and salt together and gently add the butter. Make a well adding the water and bring lightly together to make a dough.
8. Roll out into a rectangle and mark into thirds. Fold over the end thirds into the centre one, turn through 90º and repeat two more times. Chill for half an hour.
9. When the meat is cooked, cool slightly and tip into a pie dish. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface a little bigger than the size of the dish using the trimmings to make a strip the width of the rim.
10. Brush the rim of the pie dish with beaten egg and lay the pastry strip on top to make a seal. Brush again with egg and lay the lid on top. Crimp or flute the edges, brush the lid with the remaining egg and make a slit in the top.
11. Bake at 200C/gas 6/fan 180C for 30-40 minutes, until golden. Serve with buttered spring cabbage and mashed potato.
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- black pepper
- 700 g lean stewing beef, or chuck steak
- 225 g beef kidneys, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25 g butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 170 ml stout
- 400 ml strong beef stock
- 1 tsp gravy, browning
For the ‘rough puff’ pastry
- Buttered spring cabbage
- Mashed potatoes