On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 1
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011
- 22:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - The Big Freeze
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
- makes 4 x 500g jars
Stefan Gates' simple recipe for strawberry jam is best made with super-fresh fruit. Make and keep for up to a year
Method1. To prepare your strawberries, remove all tops and greenery, and chop large fruits into chunks.
2. Put the strawberries and lemon juice into a large, heavy-based saucepan and simmer them very gently for an hour.
3. Add the sugar and turn up the heat until the temperature rises to setting point (104C).
4. Check that setting point has been reached with a sugar thermometer or using The Wrinkle Test (see below).
5. Once the jam has reached setting point, skim any scum off the top of the jam. Set aside until a skin starts to form.
6. Pour into sterilised jars.
7. Seal them and leave to cool. Label them and store in a cool place.
Tips and suggestions
- If you don't have a sugar thermometer, you can do the 'The Wrinkle Test'. Chill a plate in the fridge, spread a small teaspoon of jam on it. Allow to cool and push your finger through it. The skin on the jam should have just about set, and should wrinkle up. The two halves of the jam either side of your finger mark should remain separate.